Friday, August 2, 2013

"Comforted by Ignorance"

I was taking my daughter for a walk in her stroller when I saw a young mother walking with her two daughters.  I thought to myself, she must be so in love with her girls, there beautiful and they look like fun.   As I got closer, the mother said to one of her daughters who couldn't be older than four " Shut the f..k up".  I felt butterflies in my stomach and a sense of sadness.  How can a mother speak to a small impressionable little precious baby girl in that matter.  I stopped and starred wanting to enlighten the young mom about some positive words that can replace the mean ugly ones.  She then pushed her daughter in the back of her head while her daughter cried out " Mommy, Mommy" wanting some sort of comfort.  Instead her mother said " I told you to shut the f..k up and you didn't so now your ass is staying in the house while I go to the party".
 I don't know the situation in their home and I don't know the struggles or stress that young mom may face but there is never a reason to speak to your children in an offensive matter.  Everyone gets frustrated and may say or do something inappropriate when disciplining their children at times, but to constantly use profanity on a daily basis when addressing your children is wrong. Those small children will grow up to be teens and young adults who will curse and behave inappropriately in public, school and in their relationships.   When your daughter marries a man who speaks to her like trash, she might think that's love because her mother spoke to her the same way.  Lets comfort our children with words of love, guidance and positivity so that when they interact with others they will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment